Writing is Terrifying

When I was little I tried to write a book. It was written on a bunch of loose pieces of paper and it is hilarious to go back and read what eight year old me thought was an impressive story.
Aside from countless embarassing diaries filled with middle school drama, I haven't consistently messed with writing very much since then.
My need for it has lingered and been painfully obvious at times, but I haven't paid enough attention to that need to write consistently. I have gotten my feet wet by writing flash fiction, but most of that even, has been kept to myself.
Only about a year ago did I really start trying (with help from friends) to be bold about my writing. Sadly, I'm finding that trying is not cutting it. I talk a lot about writing, and I will begin to write, but rarely do I finish. Everything in me shuts down or runs away somewhere in-between thinking about writing and completing the process.

I occupy a lot of my time with singing, which is something that is natural for me. My voice isn't the best, and I have to work at my technique, but I never had to learn how to sing. It is something that has always been around, I have always been capable of it. My inner perfectionist hates that I am now exploring something that I am not already good at. I am absolutely terrified of not being a good writer. My mind screams at me for making myself go outside of my comfort zone, even though inside is truly one of the most dangerous places to be.
That being said, this blog is my small attempt to stand up to the voice that says it isn't okay for me to write. I currently can't see myself taking a drastic step like writing a book, and anyway, that's not what this blog is for. This is simply me doing instead of only trying. I intend to improve, slowly and surely. I intend to quit being afraid of writing, despite desperately wanting run away and hide from anything and everything that tells me I should.

Don't expect anything exciting or flashy to be posted here, that's not what you'll get. I only hope I can say some of what I have always wanted, but been too afraid to share.

Comments

  1. Claire,
    Sometimes our "inner perfectionist" wants us to avoid doing something incredible. Good job for standing up to that voice! I'm excited to see you grow as a writer.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUZZAH. So excited to see where you take this!! Blogging is fun and can be a great outlet for those creative pursuits that are uniquely you. So glad you took the plunge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts