Christmas Rhythm

We prepare in anticipation, trying to muster up "that" holiday feeling. You know the one. Life slows down and picks up its pace all at once. School and work are replaced in large part with decorating, baking, shopping, and wrapping.

For those who know Christ, we try at Christmastime especially to hold Him higher than all of these other things, and we wonder if we are succeeding.
The acts of resting and accomplishing have never been so prioritized. We feel a duty to watch all the movies and eat all the food...(and nobody is going to complain about that part.)
There also might be stress or tension at some points; longing, boredom, and excitement.
Christmastime isn't that different from the rest of life, except that these normal emotions seem to be emphasized.
This includes not only stress, but joy! Joy in reuniting with old friends and gathering together family members, playing games and baking treats. Finally, a gust of joy that hits us at the end, more true than anything else all season. Giving and receiving on Christmas day points us to the knowledge of a greater joy.

This gust of joy finally hits us, more true than anything else all season.With it falls a deep abiding peace. A knowing of truth and a resting in that.
If you're not sure what these feelings of truth and peace should be, maybe take a look at a familiar Christmas hymn.

Silent night, holy night!
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth

Quiet. Calm. Light. Purity. Radiance. Redemption. Jesus. 

Those seven words alone feel like a salve on my soul. 

I guess I need to articulate this because Christmas as a whole can become a blur, even if I'm determined to pay attention and not miss a thing.

I am thankful for the rhythm of the ordinary Christian life ad how the holy time of Christmas reflects and teaches me that. These rhythms look something like chaos, busyness, love, sharing, togetherness, and peace.

                  With myself and the world, I find unrest.
                  With others who lead me to Jesus, I find love.
                  In communing with others and Jesus, I find comfort.
                  With Jesus and Jesus only, I find the peace and wonder- just as was found at the                      incarnation.

This analogy is not clear-cut or ground breaking, but the way that God has made my life to imitate His work is important to notice, and with Christmas, clearly and unavoidably, this pattern repeats every year. Through this I am reminded of the presence of my God, so much more near than I sometimes think.

"Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel (which means, God with us.)"
Matthew 1:23


Comments

Popular Posts